EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - DC SOCCER CLUB (CLOSED)
Updated: May 6
OVERVIEW OF DC SOCCER CLUB
DC Soccer Club (formerly “DC Stoddert Soccer”) is a 501(c) non-profit organization in Washington, DC, serving more than 4,000 youth soccer players across our Recreational, Travel and related supplemental programs. Founded in 1977, DC Soccer Club (DCSC) has a long history and strong ties to the DC community. We are committed to creating an inclusive community for players of all ages, levels and backgrounds to build technical soccer skills in a competitive, fun and supportive environment. DCSC provides an est. $200,000 per year in financial assistance to ensure no players are excluded due to economic hardship.
DCSC offers a variety of comprehensive programs for different levels of soccer training, education, and competition. Travel teams compete in the EDP, CCL and NCSL leagues. The Recreational program spans Pre-K to grade 12 and is supported by a large and engaged community of parent volunteers. In recent years, in response to demand, the club has successfully developed and marketed a series of supplemental programs including Tots, Juniors, ADP, TopSoccer and Futsal, as well as summer programming including camps and Super Y league teams.
Reporting directly to the board of directors, DCSC is searching for a new Executive Director who will be responsible for overseeing the overall strategic direction and daily leadership at the club. Working closely with the board of directors, executive staff and community stakeholders; the Executive Director will drive strategy and oversee programming, business and financial planning, marketing and communications, development, partnerships and field acquisition for the long-term sustainable growth and success of the club.
· Develop and implement a near-term and medium-term (five-year) strategic and operating plan to advance and grow the club. Plan and prioritize accordingly to anticipate future opportunities and challenges.
· Foster a positive and cohesive club culture that resonates across different club offerings programs and platforms, staff, coaches, volunteers and players alike.
· Provide daily leadership to the full-time executive staff responsible for operations, programs and administration. Design and deploy processes and procedures to allow for smooth workflow and communication.
· Ensure an organizational structure that optimizes effectiveness and maximizes resources across all club programming and operations. Oversee the recruitment, development and retention of organizational talent in executive positions necessary to deliver strategic goals.
· Evaluate and optimize DCSC program offerings in the context of the local soccer landscape and offerings of peer organizations to meet long term club goals and DCSC community needs. Develop and track program targets and success metrics.
· Explore and execute sponsorship, fundraising and marketing opportunities to grow and sustain DCSC initiatives, expand its access to a wider audience, support scholarships, etc.
· Lead advocacy for the greater DCSC community needs, in particular ensure reliable and sustainable access to local area soccer fields and facilities. Develop, maintain and nurture relationships with city officials, local community representatives, public and private school leadership, etc.
· Develop a strong DCSC brand with comprehensive marketing and communications that will engage and excite our current members and attract new members, including but not limited to the club’s website, social media platforms, club sponsored tournaments and community events.
· Develop and maintain relationships and strategic partnerships with national youth soccer organizations, state associations, leagues, neighboring youth soccer organizations, and other youth sports leaders in the area.
· Develop and implement an annual budget consistent with DCSC’s strategic and operational goals. Ensure appropriate financial reporting processes and procedures are in place. Oversee revenue and cost streams to ensure DCSC maintains a healthy financial position.
· Collaborate with board of directors at monthly meetings, committee meetings, and other ad-hoc meetings as necessary.
· Collaborate with the board of directors on medium to long term strategic objectives for the club to thrive.
· Ensure that all regulatory and compliance reporting deadlines are met (non-profit status, financial, etc.)
· Comply with all local, state, and federal legal requirements
· Investigate all grievances or complaints submitted to DCSC, present findings and make recommendation as necessary
· Fulfill all other tasks as assigned to accomplish the goals of DCSC
· Bachelor’s degree, ideally but not limited to sports administration, youth sports, recreation, education, not-for-profit related disciplines or other related business disciplines.
· Eight (8) to Ten (10) years of mid to senior level not-for-profit association/organization leadership or other related transferable business experience
· Strong leadership, organizational, communication and motivational skills
· Experience in fundraising, sponsorships and strategic partnerships a plus
· Soccer background and understanding of youth soccer landscape strongly preferred
· Working understanding of 501-C-3 not-for profit federal and state compliance
and regulations preferred
· Ability to work flexible hours and weekends to support events and attend conferences